Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nashville, Tennessee

The beginning of my Spring Break was mainly working and getting lesson planning done. But on Thursday, I headed to Nashville to see Cary. I've never been to Nashville, or Tennessee for anything but driving through it, so it was a new experience!


Thursday evening, Cary picked me up from the airport and we went to dinner at a little Italian place. Nashville is quite the cool city-- there are all sorts of trendy neighborhoods and shops. They have some of the cutest houses I have ever seen. They also have tons of cute children in private school uniforms! Dinner was wonderful and it was great just to catch up a little bit.


On Friday, Cary had to go help save childrens' lives at the hospital, so Clint and I went to the Parthenon. It was so cool! It was built for a fair in Nashville (along with pyramids, DC buildings, etc) and eventually became a permanent feature. It is much different than the real Parthenon- no scaffolding, not falling down, not at the top of a big rock, not quite as magnificent; but it is still really cool! The inside is a museum with information on how it became a permanent fixture and photography from local artists. Upstairs, however, is a replica of the Athena statue that would have been in the real Parthenon. It was HUGE! They always tell you how big she would have been, but it is hard to imagine. Overall, a very cool building and a great way for students to become interested in the Classics!


Athena (The ropes in front are like movie theatre ropes if that gives you some perspective of size.)
After Cary got back from the hospital, we headed to a yummy frozen yogurt joint in another cute part of town. We had beautiful weather and just sat outside for quite a long time! For dinner, we headed downtown to the Hard Rock Cafe. Downtown Nashville is so cool! Suddenly there are tons of neon lights, live music, and people singing on the street. There are places to buy cowboy boots and horse carriage rides. It is definitely a unique place. We had dinner and drinks at the Hard Rock and again enjoyed the weather walking around.


On Saturday, Cary and I hung out beside the pool. Woo for being outside! Her apartment complex is very well manicured so we enjoyed the flowers and trees and the warmth. For lunch we headed to Cheesecake Factory (we go to Cheesecake Factory almost every time were together!) still enjoying the weather on the patio and walked around the mall until it was time to go to the airport. Nashville was so cool, I did not want to leave! Especially when I landed in Norfolk and it was cold and rainy! It was so great to get away, if only for a few days.


Now, it is back to student teaching. I have 4.5 weeks left. I am only teaching the I & II years now, so it is all down hill from here. It is crazy how fast it is going. In a little over a month I will be graduated! I signed my letter of intent today with FCPS-- I feel like such a real person. I hope everyone else enjoyed their weekend and/or spring break!

1 comment:

  1. I am a little jealous you got to go see the Nashville Parthenon! Glad you had an awesome spring break!

    --Jo--

    ReplyDelete